Monday, November 1, 2010

Jack of All Trades and the Master of None

I mentioned in a post a few days ago that I often feel I am a jack of all trades and the master of none. I have many talents and I love them all. But at the same time I am struggling with what direction I want my life to go in. I love so many things, how do I pick just one to do? I'm a very one track mind person when it comes to things like that, almost to the occlusion of everything else. I have phases that repeat on a cycle.

I want to bake cakes for a living.

No, I want to work in community theatre for a living.

No, I want to be an administrative assistant for a living.

No, I want to act.

No, I want to sing.

No, I want to do techie things.

No, I want to teach. (English and History)

It's endless!! The one thing that is always there under everything is my love for ASL and the Deaf community, my husband and my desire to be a mom. So you would think I could be a freelance interpreter and a housewife. But no, I don't want to lose all the things I'm interested in. I want to learn everything I can about every one of those things and I want to learn about all kinds of other things. I just feel that I know so many things and I want to be so many things that I feel like I'm still a kid who has seventy answers to "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Another option would be to do them all in a circular basis, but I want stability. And I want flexibility. I am distracted so easily!

Oh, look! Something shiny!

5 comments:

breylee {rocksinajar.com} said...

Jenny, sometimes I feel like we are the same person. I can absolutely relate to most everything in this post (except I'm not married yet, I can't sing, I'm clueless with techie stuff, and I would teach English and science). :)

I'm also at that stage in life where I feel like I should know my life's direction, but I have no idea where I am supposed to be headed. I have a slew of things I enjoy doing, but I'm not great at any of them and I don't think I could make a career out of them, but there are a few things that are ever present--being a mother, mentoring, and writing. Perhaps I should start on the only one of those things that would be feasible to start on right now...

Unknown said...

@Aubrey LeeAnn It's because we've known each other so long - as long as I can remember!

I think that as we fumble our way through life, that if we still don't know what we want to be when we grow up, that we are still able to have fun and enjoy the little things. It helps keep us young, even as we gain knowledge with age.

I think it helps keep us from going crazy!

Anonymous said...

Jen Jen - I'm not sure how I stumbled upon this other than I clicked on something that said "fondant is gross" and there you were. When I read your post I laughed out loud. Not because I think your quandry is funny, but because we are such kindred spirits. Here's the answer from someone two decades older than you...do it all! If you want stability and flexibility then I suggest going into teaching or serving as a contract interpreter for the deaf - perhaps someone who works with students. You and Adam have those children so you can perfect the art of building beautiful birthday cakes. During the offseason you get involved in a community theatre and don't forget to include your children when they are old enough to help build sets, assist with makeup, or take the state with Mom. Organize your life at work and home and do those administrative tasks with the latest and greatest technical advances to ease your techie urges. But most of all keep your head on a swivel so you never ever miss those shiny objects!
Love you!

Unknown said...

@Anonymous Debby? Or MaryJo? I don't know! I love your plan though! I think it will work very well. :D

Anonymous said...

Jenny, you are so blessed to have the love and support of the man you love and support. Other things will fall into place. :)