Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Quick Note about a Sad Subject on the News

A very sad and horrifying event occurred yesterday.

A man opened fire at a U.S. Representative, Gabrielle Giffords, meeting with her constituents at a Safeway in Tucson, AZ.

Unless you live under a rock you know the details.  Everyone is talking about the public figures more than anything else, but there is another loss that I think should be highlighted more and used when trying to get information out of the shooter.  I would like to talk about one of the victims who I have heard ONE outlet, NPR on Weekend Edition Sunday with Liane (pronounced Lee-ann) Hansen, talk about.

The 9 year old girl whose life was senselessly ended yesterday morning.  According to NPR she was an athletic young girl who liked ballet and was the only girl on her Little League team.

Her life was tragically cut short.  And don't give me crap about "God's Plan," SHE WAS NINE.  She should have had the same opportunities, if not better, than me.  She should have gotten to experiment with make up, get As in her favorite subjects, have teachers that loved her in High School and helped her get into the best colleges.  She should have been able to get married and have kids of her own and see her grandkids.  

But she's not.  Because some deranged, and I say deranged because only someone mentally unstable could murder a child, decided to shoot into a public area at someone trying to do their job.  A CHILD.

I am saddened by this terrible loss of life of all those who have died and pray for the recovery of those who were injured.  I hope that all affected by this can come through this without major issues and can find a good outlet to deal with this terrible event.

But, today, I remember that nine year old girl who could have been so much and only got so little.

**UPDATE** The little girl's name was Christina Green.

Here is a link to an article about her in The Sun in the UK.

2 comments:

Jessa said...

I'll be honest, I've been avoiding the news for the past day simply because my heart just can't take the story of this whole situation. When I heard about that child... it just hurt so much. I'm glad you posted about her, because I believe she needs to be remembered and her story needs to be heard. So, so tragic.

Unknown said...

@Jessa I understand, the TV hasn't been touched and I turned off the radio after Liane talked about Christina Green.

I hope that as time progresses more people will talk about her and remember her and what she could have been.