Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Things You Learn About Yourself

Adam has been traveling these last few weeks to a conference for school, so I have essentially living by myself.

It sucks.  A lot.  I miss him so much.  But! He's on his way home :D I pick him up tomorrow and I can. not. wait. !!!

But that is not what I wanted to write about, although it does factor in.

First, I find it much too easy to slide into unhealthy food choices when I am by myself.  Way too easy.  And I'm not going to lie, I slid down the slippery slope of bad-for-you food.  And I felt awful.  Not because of the guilt, although I am sure that was part of it, but I just felt sick to my stomach for days after I ate that crap.  Nauseous, yucky, uncomfortable. Blech.  Cooking healthy for one is definitely harder, but so worth it.  I never, EVER want to feel that way again.  If I indulge a little, like once in a blue moon, I don't think it will be like that.  I did have a few days pass after I had an indulgence and I felt fine.  It was when I indulged two, no I think it was three, days in a row for a meal each day, that I felt the worst for the next several days.

Blech. Blech. Blech.

But I also made another discovery over the last few months, and have an easy way to remedy the problem.

I like exercise and being active.  I enjoy playing sports and it's really fun to play team sports with friends.  I have many fond memories from my childhood of playing touch football on Saturdays with my family and neighbors.  And we (my Dad, brothers and now my hubby) still sometimes head to the local ballpark complex thing in my hometown to hit the ball around and play catch.  Invariably someone will pull a muscle or something.  But it's a lot of fun.  Family is super important to me and helping them stay healthy and be around as long as possible is a very big thing for me.

So, anyway, my biggest motivator it seems, is having some sort of 'event' breathing down my neck.

Which means I spent today looking up 5Ks in Michigan for me to run through out the winter.  (I don't do winter biking.  I am crazy, but not that crazy.)  I found one a month to run all the way through to the Capital City River Run event next year.  The first one up is the Turkeyman Trot on Thanksgiving morning.

You read that correctly.  I am hosting my first Thanksgiving this year, and I am running a 5K the morning of.  Yes sir/m'am.

Even though my work outs have been erratic since I started working, I want to have that extra push to keep it up.  Training for a 5K only takes 30 minutes, 3 days a week.  Am I tired when I get home from work? Yes.  I have been averaging 10,000 steps per day on days that I work, I'm on my feet, going from my desk to the copier, back to my desk, to the supply room and back, I'm everywhere baby!

But I know that I need to make my workouts more regular.  I have to.  The weight won't continue to come off if I don't get back on the regular exercise horse.

And stay away from the Pizza Rolls.

No comments: